Wednesday, December 7, 2011

A base for the toad.

Some more done on the toad, and started on the base.


Stiffened with watered down pva, and coated with wall filler, the foam is now rock solid.


Added more to the base, the first layer of soil.
I’ve sealed and washed the wood to darken it.
I also built up around the log with acrylic resin, which will take the heat of the fake water I’ll be adding later.


I made the dead colonialist out of a stripped undead warrior.
One from the old old Skeleton army box, I bought it when I was 11 I think. I added a helmet from the Perry WotR box.


Saturday, October 29, 2011

Toad Madness!

Some more work done. :)



Puttied the gaps in the arms, I also added some detail over the join.

The crappy colour test with very thin paint.

Here with the colours mostly finalised.

After its first wash:


I’ve added extra details in the form of a headfeather and loincloth.
The feather is from a Perry Minis Mercenaries boxed set, and the loincloth itself is made from a tomato puree tube.
I’ll wait and see if anyone spots where the 1/3 and 1/8 circular parts are from.

The scheme is based on a real toad, the Oriental Fire Bellied Toad.
I still need to do the black bits.

I chose copper for the metal because its a nice warm colour, it goes well with the main colours of the toad, his headfeather will be a bright purple to white fade.

I probably won’t get this finished in time, but I’m going to finish it anyway.
Mostly due to having big plans for the base, I don’t want to rush it.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Bow October Painting Competition


My entry to the Oct painting comp.
I need to replace some bits, fill in some gaps, and add some extra detail.

Also I’m going to be making a custom base

Primed after a bit of cleaning.

I’ve got rid of the flash, also filled in some miscast parts.
Gives a better look at the model, I think. I have a colour scheme in mind, but I think I’ll keep it to myself.
The arm muscles didn’t meet up properly under the bangles cast in the arm joins.
So I cut them away and pinned them further apart, I’ll sculpt some new ones in.
Also the rear leg is too fat for its socket, that has been sanded down and mounted with a gap.
The front leg meets better, I should only have to redefine a muscle or two.

All the gaps were filled with MMD putty, basically ‘like’ the Vallejo and GW paste putties out now, but cheaper per gram.
I started using it on scale kits, now I couldn’t do without it.

In addition to the resculpted areas, I’m also planning on adding a bit of extra tribal jewellery, feathers, and a couple of other details to make this more of a personal model.
This is purely for display, so I can go all out with the details.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011


I've posted a quick photography tutorial. Link is above. :)

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

BOW competition figure.

Painted this Samurai up for the Beasts of War, infantry figure comp. Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket 
Quite pleased with the results, I'm going to try and do all of them this well.
I'm going to use them as a break from painting camouflage on various things. :)

Friday, February 4, 2011

Bombard WIP

A 25mm bombard I've been working, on though its been slowed by other projects.


A 25mm single figure I've been working on.
Based on the Russell Crowe character Maximus, from the film Gladiator.
Still some stuff to do on the base, adding in stakes for example.